A Fun Sunday at work - Not!

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 18 17:42:01 CST 2002

At 17:03 18-3-2002 +0000, Basil Hussain wrote:
>I don't know what component it is in PSUs that causes this, but they do go
>off like a firecracker. I presume it's not an in-built fuse, seeing as fuses
>melt and not explode!

Fuses can explode in this case (I have seen it in real life). The extreme
heat they produce during the short time is so intense that you actually
blow up the glass around the fuse. heat+gas == expansion
Good seconds are the capacitors, better not inhale those fumes.

If you have a power supply with a popped fuse _DO_NOT_ replace it. Doing so
might cause spectacular but not so nice side effects besides the explosion
hazards. The fuses are there to prevent fire not overloading.

When switched power supply's go there is no use in replacing parts, if one
part goes it takes the rest with it. I studies electronics 8 years and have
a fair idea of what this is about.

Cheers
--
Seth