A Fun Sunday at work - Not!

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 18 10:07:00 CST 2002

At 09:24 18-3-2002 -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:

>I've had a fun experience with a Dell power supply (prior to my current
>employment at Dell...) Once I plugged an Optiplex (desktop) into our
>server rack. The explosion from the power-supply was fairly spectacular.
>It happened as soon as I plugged it in. It was only after the fact that I
>noticed that the server rack was 240V power and the poor Opti was 120
>non-autoranging :-( I am now a big fan of autoranging power supplies.

Ah yes, but these days they have a switch on the back to switch between
these 2 different settings.

I work at Coltex BV in the Netherlands and we have about 230 cash registers
throughout the country and these are made by NCR. We once had a not so
bright (but intelligent) person that was smart enough to let someone in one
of the stores switch it from 230 -> 120. The shop personel was in shock and
the shop itself smelt funny for 2 days. AFAIK the personel was somewhat
impressed by the loudness of the bang.

>It was especially funny because I was in the Middle East for a while,
>where 240V is standard. I had a good laugh at some of my technicians
>destroying printers and other accessories on a fairly regular basis. Of
>course, _I_ would never make that mistake...

This man was actualy looking for the on/off switch of a Cisco 760 ISDN
router but his lack of people skills and communication with other homo
sapiens made the store personel flip the other switch. Luckily the personel
in the store was not hurt in the accident.

Cheers

--
Seth
I use the last kind.