A Fun Sunday at work - Not!

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Mon Mar 18 09:25:00 CST 2002

Seth Mos wrote:

> At 13:32 18-3-2002 +0100, Sigbjorn Strommen wrote:
>
>> Seth Mos wrote:
>>
>> I know.  It's just the first time in my 15 years with computers that
>> I've seen it happen.  BTW, I was a bit unprecise.  It was the power
>> supply in a PV210S *attached* to the PE2500 that broke, not a PS in
>> the PE2500 it self.
>

> Was it redundant? I have seen a lot of el cheapo power supply's and I
> have worked through about 8 so far.
>
> I have no failed Dell PowerEdge power supply's yet (8 servers) and I
> believe 2 power supply's in the 90+ dell desktops that we have. I
> would say that the Dell PSU's are relatively good.

I've had a fun experience with a Dell power supply (prior to my current
employment at Dell...) Once I plugged an Optiplex (desktop) into our
server rack. The explosion from the power-supply was fairly spectacular.
It happened as soon as I plugged it in. It was only after the fact that
I noticed that the server rack was 240V power and the poor Opti was 120
non-autoranging :-( I am now a big fan of autoranging power supplies.

It was especially funny because I was in the Middle East for a while,
where 240V is standard. I had a good laugh at some of my technicians
destroying printers and other accessories on a fairly regular basis. Of
course, _I_ would never make that mistake...
--
Michael