A Fun Sunday at work - Not!

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 18 06:58:00 CST 2002

At 13:32 18-3-2002 +0100, Sigbjorn Strommen wrote:
>Seth Mos wrote:
>
>I know.  It's just the first time in my 15 years with computers that
>I've seen it happen.  BTW, I was a bit unprecise.  It was the power
>supply in a PV210S *attached* to the PE2500 that broke, not a PS in
>the PE2500 it self.

Was it redundant? I have seen a lot of el cheapo power supply's and I have
worked through about 8 so far.

I have no failed Dell PowerEdge power supply's yet (8 servers) and I
believe 2 power supply's in the 90+ dell desktops that we have. I would say
that the Dell PSU's are relatively good.

> > It is not unique to Dell servers. These things just happen and you can not
> > do anything about it.
>
>If I learn that a particular brand of hardware is more likely to fail
>then another, then I can do something about it...

Even the best can fail.

> > I even had a power supply go and blow up the entire mainboard (non Dell
> > machine) by sending a voltage spike to it. Just bad luck I guess.
>
>I hope so. I had not expected a almost brand new PS to fail.  I just hope
>that it didn't create any damages in the rest of the setup.

It fails within 3 months or it takes 5+ years for something to fail. That
is my experience.

Cheers

--
Seth