RH Up2dates

Karsten Mueller mueller.karsten at guj.de
Mon Mar 18 06:42:00 CST 2002

Hi!

>     I wanted to find out - with the growing number of RH Linux servers
> in
> our server room - that is there a way that 1 machine can act as a local
> up2date server so that we can download all the packages to one server
> then
> locally our RH machines can up2date from there ?

We wanted an automated update with these features:
- centralized RPM repository in our network
- automated updates of the repository
- on each client automated downloads of RedHat RPMs from the repository
and manual installation
- on each client automated downloads of corporate RPMs and automated
installation

I realized these features with the autoupdate tool and some scripts. The
system runs without problems for about half a year now with 15 RedHat
6.2 and 7.2 clients. Our system admins are very happy with it because
they can decide when to do the update. I thought about establishing an
approval stage of new packages (before they are downloaded by each
client) but actually it does not appear to be necessary.

The autoupdate tool (see
http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/) does dependency
resolution (if you install new packages) and handle kernel updates
nicely. Autoupdate has an active user community and is updated
frequently by its author Gerald Teschl <Gerald.Teschl at univie.ac.at>.

RedHat seems to offer a "RedHat network" onsite called Satellite (see
https://rhn.redhat.com/overview_workgroup.pxt). I have asked RedHat
Germany for availability and prices. Too bad that prices are so
exorbitant they refused to tell it. I really would like to test the more
advanced features of RedHat Network onsite.

bye,
Karsten

Karsten Müller           E-Mail: mueller.karsten at guj.de
Gruner+Jahr AG & Co      Tel: +49 40 3703-2810
IT-Systeme               Fax: +49 40 3703-172810