A Fun Sunday at work - Not!

Sigbjorn Strommen sigbjorn.strommen at roxar.com
Mon Mar 18 06:33:00 CST 2002

Seth Mos wrote:

> >Anyways, have any of you experienced a power supply failure like
> >this?  I guess I should be glad that it didn't start a fire,
> >but even though I unplugged the failed PS I'm sort of sceptical
> >to keep this server running on the same power network as the
> >rest of our hardware.  Should I just take it as a freak accident?
> >Or is it likely to happen again?
>
> Any power suply from any manafacturer can create this sort of failure.

I know.  It's just the first time in my 15 years with computers that
I've seen it happen.  BTW, I was a bit unprecise.  It was the power
supply in a PV210S *attached* to the PE2500 that broke, not a PS in
the PE2500 it self.

> It is not unique to Dell servers. These things just happen and you can not
> do anything about it.

If I learn that a particular brand of hardware is more likely to fail
then another, then I can do something about it...

> I even had a power supply go and blow up the entire mainboard (non Dell
> machine) by sending a voltage spike to it. Just bad luck I guess.

I hope so. I had not expected a almost brand new PS to fail.  I just hope
that it didn't create any damages in the rest of the setup.

-Sigbjorn