A Fun Sunday at work - Not!

Sigbjorn Strommen sigbjorn.strommen at roxar.com
Sun Mar 17 19:02:00 CST 2002

Well, a few of our most central servers went down this weekend.
And all our network switches. :-(

The reason was that one of the power supplies in our PE2500
short circuited one of the ciruits from our UPS.  This 2500
is now getting close to half a year old, and due to problems
with installation failures (probably due to a bad DVD player?),
three useless RAID controllers, and a lot of waiting on feedback
from Dell, it's still not in production.

With the added event this weekend I'm getting a bit tired of it...

Anyways, have any of you experienced a power supply failure like
this?  I guess I should be glad that it didn't start a fire,
but even though I unplugged the failed PS I'm sort of sceptical
to keep this server running on the same power network as the
rest of our hardware.  Should I just take it as a freak accident?
Or is it likely to happen again?

-Sigbjørn