Gigabit Ethernet Adapters

Matt_Domsch@dell.com Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Mar 15 20:44:01 CST 2002

> Can anyone recommend a top-of-the-line Gigabit (copper not fiber)
> adapter?  I looked on Dell's site and found 5-packs of 3Com
> adapters and
> 5-packs of Intel adapters and the Intel ones are 5X the cost.  Is the
> performance really 5X to justify the cost?  I need the
> fastest/best/highest
> performance/reliability and supported under Linux

That would be the Intel e1000-based cards.  See David S. Miller and Jeff
Garzik's comments about various GigE cards on linux-kernel in the past week.
And that's *after* they've rewritten the broadcom driver from scratch.
Performance isn't 5x (the others would have to run at 200Mbit, right!) of
course, but it's better than the others.

And, the e1000 driver is now included in the 2.5.x kernel, and will be
backported to 2.4.x very very soon. :-)

Thanks,
Matt

--