Gigabit Ethernet Adapters

Ed Griffin edg at ll.mit.edu
Fri Mar 15 19:17:00 CST 2002

Can anyone recommend a top-of-the-line Gigabit (copper not fiber)
adapter?  I looked on Dell's site and found 5-packs of 3Com adapters and
5-packs of Intel adapters and the Intel ones are 5X the cost.  Is the
performance really 5X to justify the cost?  I need the fastest/best/highest
performance/reliability and supported under Linux, I know Dell uses
Broadcom cards embedded in their servers, are Broadcom the way to go?  This
project needs an extremely high performance card for bench testing and code
development that will be later ported to Infiniband when it becomes more
broadly available.  Thanks in advance.

--Ed

Ed Griffin
Assistant Network/System Administrator
MIT Lincoln Laboratory - Weather Sensing
Phone:    (781) 981-2871
mailto:edg at ll.mit.edu