DIMM upgrade for Dell PE1300

David Vu David.Vu at aarnet.edu.au
Fri Mar 15 00:58:00 CST 2002

I need to order extra SDRAM to upgrade some remote colocated Dell PE1300/600
servers.

The problem is I do not know whether the type of the existing SDRAM is
unbuffered or registered, in order to order the new SDRAM.  According to the
system service manual, I must order the same type of SDRAM because I can not
mix both unbuffered and registered SDRAMs in a PE1300.  Moreover, the max
capacity of SDRAM is 512MB if using unbuffered SDRAMs and 1GB if using
registered SDRAMs.

I know that when we ordered the servers (years ago), each came with dual
128MB DIMMs making a total of 256MB.  Now we want to expand the RAM to
768MB.  Is there any way/utility to find out whether the existing SDRAMs are
unbuffered or registered?  Unfortunately, these servers are in remote remote
locations and I can't open one up to have a look.

Any idea would be much appreciated.
David.