Kernel panic: Can't mount / on PE2450 & SuSE 7.2

KEVIN ZEMBOWER KZEMBOWER at jhuccp.org
Thu Mar 14 12:39:01 CST 2002

Wow, it just get's worse and worse.

I booted from the SuSE 7.2 CD#1, which allows me to go into a rescue
system. This seems to go well. However, I can't mount or e2fsck or fsck
any of the partitions. "fdisk -l /dev/sda" just returns without printing
anything out.

Am I screwed, or is there still some hope? Any suggestions?

-Kevin

>>> <Steve_Boley at Dell.com> 03/14/02 12:06PM >>>
Could be that someone either erroneously changed some settings in lilo
or
you were possibly hacked or something.  Boot to rescue mode and then go
and
find your root partition and mount it to get to your /etc/lilo.conf
and
check if it's correct.  Redhat uses LABEL= for identifying partitions
during
the boot process and if SUSE uses the same thing you can use the
e2label
command and see if what labels are written to the partitions and check
if
that is correct also.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the
raid
array because it's really looking like config issue.  You can run fsck
while
in rescue mode with a -y switch to give all the yeses and see if there
is a
corruption issue on filesystem (could be this causing but slim chance
and
when trying to mount in rescue and if gives filesystem errors then this
is
the case).  If running reiser which is native to SUSE I don't know the
command to fsck the filesystem on it.
Steve