Kernel panic: Can't mount / on PE2450 & SuSE 7.2

KEVIN ZEMBOWER KZEMBOWER at jhuccp.org
Thu Mar 14 10:49:00 CST 2002

Thanks, Steve, for giving me a hand. I've got an AIC-7??? controller
built into this motherboard. The only thing on this SCSI chain should be
the tape drive, which seems to be correct; the tape drive shows up as #6
on this controller. The only thing on the PERC card should be the array
of four 18G disks, in a RAID5. This also seems to be okay, too. My
consistency check is up to 51% with no problems so far.

The boot should be to the PERC card with the RAID5. This is where /boot
is too. There are no hard drives connected to the onboard controller.

Thanks, again for your help. When the consistency check finishes, I'll
reseat and recheck the cables, but I've done that three or four times
already. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

-Kevin

>>> <Steve_Boley at Dell.com> 03/14/02 11:35AM >>>
What controller is the os booting off of?  It looks like linux is
confused
about where the root partition is.  It's obviously finding the /boot
partition to even start loading the kernel, so therefor since you only
opened it and reattached things and came up then try reseating
everything
and also you might have placed a scsi cable on the wrong connector.  If
you
boot to onboard controller and you also have tbu then you may have got
the
channels crossed between the backplane and the tape device.
Steve