Kernel panic: Can't mount / on PE2450 & SuSE 7.2

Thu Mar 14 10:37:00 CST 2002

What controller is the os booting off of?  It looks like linux is confused
about where the root partition is.  It's obviously finding the /boot
partition to even start loading the kernel, so therefor since you only
opened it and reattached things and came up then try reseating everything
and also you might have placed a scsi cable on the wrong connector.  If you
boot to onboard controller and you also have tbu then you may have got the
channels crossed between the backplane and the tape device.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER [mailto:KZEMBOWER at jhuccp.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 10:24 AM
To: Linux-PowerEdge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: Kernel panic: Can't mount / on PE2450 & SuSE 7.2

I've had my Dell PowerEdge 2450 running without problems with SuSE 7.2
for a number of weeks now. This morning, I tried to do something
entirely gratuitous and swap the Sony SDT-10000 with another, lower
capacity tape drive from another Dell server. I got halfway into the
project when I discovered that the SDT-10000 has a 68 pin connector
while the other tape drive used 50 pins. I gave up and thought I had
restore everything the way it was, but now, when I boot, the last three
messages are:
   VFS Cannot open root device "80b" or 08:0b
   Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:0b

I've booted this system may times in the past without this problem.

The fact that it gets this far tells me that it's reading from the disk
okay. I recently installed a PERC3/DC card  in this system, but it
booted fine after that. Right now I'm running the PERC Consistency
check; it's up to 30% with no problems.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

If the consistency check doesn't find anything, what should I do next
to restore the system? I'm thinking I need to boot from the SuSE CD and
try to mount the drive and fsck them. If nothing's found there, I guess
I'll edit lilo.cfg and see if anything seems wrong there. Any
suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for your help with this problem.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139