Kernel panic: Can't mount / on PE2450 & SuSE 7.2

KEVIN ZEMBOWER KZEMBOWER at jhuccp.org
Thu Mar 14 10:25:01 CST 2002

I've had my Dell PowerEdge 2450 running without problems with SuSE 7.2
for a number of weeks now. This morning, I tried to do something
entirely gratuitous and swap the Sony SDT-10000 with another, lower
capacity tape drive from another Dell server. I got halfway into the
project when I discovered that the SDT-10000 has a 68 pin connector
while the other tape drive used 50 pins. I gave up and thought I had
restore everything the way it was, but now, when I boot, the last three
messages are:
   VFS Cannot open root device "80b" or 08:0b
   Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:0b

I've booted this system may times in the past without this problem.

The fact that it gets this far tells me that it's reading from the disk
okay. I recently installed a PERC3/DC card  in this system, but it
booted fine after that. Right now I'm running the PERC Consistency
check; it's up to 30% with no problems.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

If the consistency check doesn't find anything, what should I do next
to restore the system? I'm thinking I need to boot from the SuSE CD and
try to mount the drive and fsck them. If nothing's found there, I guess
I'll edit lilo.cfg and see if anything seems wrong there. Any
suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for your help with this problem.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139