Kernel panics on PE6450 and memory>4GB

Stephan Wonczak a0033 at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Wed Mar 13 05:33:01 CST 2002

  Hi!

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 Matt_Domsch at Dell.com wrote:
>
> > > it is supposed to be. Using an enterprise kernel, which has the 64GB
> > > memory support enabled, the machine fails booting the OS and
> > > stops with a
> > > kernel panic.
> >
> > What BIOS do you have?  A09, right? :-)   You need either A08 or A10, but
> > A09 misreports the amount of RAM you've got (it says you've got 4GB + 1M +
> > 8K), so the kernel thinks it can access memory you don't have, and boom.
> >
> > Either upgrade or downgrade your BIOS by one version, and all will be well.

  Just to report success: Upgrading to BIOS A10 did the trick; now I can
access my whole memory; no more kernel panics during boot. Again, thnks
for your help!

                Dipl. Chem. Stephan Wonczak
		Institut fuer Angewandte Informatik (ZAIK)
                Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet zu Koeln (RRZK)
                Universitaet zu Koeln
                Robert-Koch-Strasse 10
                50931 Koeln
                Tel: ++49/(0)221/478-5577