poweredge,cluster and external shared SCSI device.

Pierre POMES ppomes at reservit.com
Wed Mar 13 05:24:01 CST 2002

Hi,

I need to create a linux cluster with two nodes and an external shared
storage. This storage is a Dell Powervalut 210S, controlled by a RAID
device on each host (each node has a PERC3 controller). Each node is a
PowerEdge 2550.

I would like to create an active/active cluster, one node running
apache,
the other mysql. In case of failure of a node, the other will run the
two services until the first comes up gain.

I know that since the RAID is done on each node, I cannot create only
one filesystem with the database and the web pages. So I need to create
two filesystems, one containing the database, the other the web pages.
What is the best to do on the powervault :

1) create one RAID logical drive with the two partitions ?
2) Or create two RAID logical drive with one paritition on each ?

Do you know if these two solutions can run safely without data
corruptions ? I plan to use redhat 7.2. The advantage of the first
solution is that I need only 3 HD drives for RAID5. With the second
one, with two logical drives I need HD 6 drives for RAID5.

Do you have some advices ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Pierre POMES                        mailto:ppomes at reservit.com
Interface Technologies