Kernel panics on PE6450 and memory>4GB

Stephan Wonczak a0033 at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 12 09:01:00 CST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 Matt_Domsch at Dell.com wrote:

> >   I have a problem getting my large memory to work correctly.
> > I am running
> > RH 7.2 with a 2.4.9-Kernel. Booting with a vanilla SMP kernel
> > works OK,
> > but then it only has ~3.7G memory available; no problem
> > there, this is how
> > it is supposed to be. Using an enterprise kernel, which has the 64GB
> > memory support enabled, the machine fails booting the OS and
> > stops with a
> > kernel panic.
>
> What BIOS do you have?  A09, right? :-)   You need either A08 or A10, but
> A09 misreports the amount of RAM you've got (it says you've got 4GB + 1M +
> 8K), so the kernel thinks it can access memory you don't have, and boom.
>
> Either upgrade or downgrade your BIOS by one version, and all will be well.

  *hrm* I didn't think of that. Of course, you are right, it *is* BIOS
A09. I will do the update right smartly, and if it works, I think you will
hear me shouting right over the ocean :-)

  Thanks for your help!

                Dipl. Chem. Stephan Wonczak
		Institut fuer Angewandte Informatik (ZAIK)
                Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet zu Koeln (RRZK)
                Universitaet zu Koeln
                Robert-Koch-Strasse 10
                50931 Koeln
                Tel: ++49/(0)221/478-5577