Kernel panics on PE6450 and memory>4GB

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 12 08:51:00 CST 2002

At 08:51 12-3-2002 -0500, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 02:47:53PM +0100, Stephan Wonczak wrote:

> running
> is how
> > >
> > > which 2.4.9 kernel are you using exactly ?
> >
> >   At the moment, the kernel 2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_1.0.2enterprise is running.
>
>Oh so you're not using a RH kernel.
>(the SGI linux kernels use a compiler known to miscompile 64 bit drivers
>which happens on the bigmem/enterprise kernels a lot)

Didn't knew that, however some people are still reporting that some vague
oopses in combination with NFS access dissapear after using egcs. This is
on low memory boxes though AFAIK.(<1GB)
A lot of people are reporting a lot of good succes with the 3.x gcc branch.

> > But the problem is not with this kernel specifically (in case you are
> > wondering). I can get by without the XFS-Support and use a vanilla 2.4.18,
> > 2.4.9 or even 2.4.7-kernel, but this does not help, either.
>
>Which compiler did you use ? gcc 2.96 ? or egcs ?

The default kernel rpm would have egcs. If it has the custom tag behind it
it was a self compiled and might have used gcc although the Makefile
defaults to egcs in this case.

The next release which will be done will probably use either 2.96 or 3.x
depending on what the next Red Hat Linux ships with. XFS kernels are tested
with 3.0 by the developers but it is not a recommendation yet.

No exact timetable on the next release yet but it will include the new
"official" ACL interface and break userland ACL tools starting with 2.4.18
and later.

Cheers

--
Seth