Kernel panics on PE6450 and memory>4GB

Tue Mar 12 08:35:00 CST 2002

>   I have a problem getting my large memory to work correctly.
> I am running
> RH 7.2 with a 2.4.9-Kernel. Booting with a vanilla SMP kernel
> works OK,
> but then it only has ~3.7G memory available; no problem
> there, this is how
> it is supposed to be. Using an enterprise kernel, which has the 64GB
> memory support enabled, the machine fails booting the OS and
> stops with a
> kernel panic.

What BIOS do you have?  A09, right? :-)   You need either A08 or A10, but
A09 misreports the amount of RAM you've got (it says you've got 4GB + 1M +
8K), so the kernel thinks it can access memory you don't have, and boom.

Either upgrade or downgrade your BIOS by one version, and all will be well.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer
#1 US Linux Server provider with 24.5% (IDC Dec 2001)
#2 Worldwide Linux Server provider with 18.5% (IDC Dec 2001)