Dell server

Stephan Wonczak a0033 at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 12 08:00:00 CST 2002

  Hi Daniel!

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Daniel Beaudoin wrote:

> Hi;
>
> 	I have a Dell PowerVault 8450, 8 processors at 700 mhz each, 8 gig
> of ram with the two internal disks mirrored, one RAID 5 set and two JBOD's.
> My present problem is my swap file is 12 GIG in size but Linux will only use

  This one's easy: You can't use swap spaces>2GB on i386
architectures. If you want to use more swap you have to specify more than
one swap partition/file. According to the mkswap manpage you can use up to
8 areas, giving you 16G of swap.

> 2.
> 	As well, after a short period of time, my system goes into a state
> that if I run "ps", "who" "top" etc. (seems to be anything that uses the
> /proc folder) the process hangs.  I am unable to break out of it.  If I kill
> the process, I still do not get a prompt.  But I can go to another window
> and use the system still.
>
> 	Any ideas?

  Nope, no idea. Maybe related to the swap mentioned above? btw, which
kernel are you using?

                Dipl. Chem. Stephan Wonczak
		Institut fuer Angewandte Informatik (ZAIK)
                Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet zu Koeln (RRZK)
                Universitaet zu Koeln
                Robert-Koch-Strasse 10
                50931 Koeln
                Tel: ++49/(0)221/478-5577