Kernel panics on PE6450 and memory>4GB

Stephan Wonczak a0033 at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 12 07:48:01 CST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> Stephan Wonczak wrote:
> >
> >   Hi!
> >   I have a problem getting my large memory to work correctly. I am running
> > RH 7.2 with a 2.4.9-Kernel. Booting with a vanilla SMP kernel works OK,
> > but then it only has ~3.7G memory available; no problem there, this is how
>
> which 2.4.9 kernel are you using exactly ?

  At the moment, the kernel 2.4.9-13SGI_XFS_1.0.2enterprise is running.
But the problem is not with this kernel specifically (in case you are
wondering). I can get by without the XFS-Support and use a vanilla 2.4.18,
2.4.9 or even 2.4.7-kernel, but this does not help, either.

> Also we've tested those kernels with 16Gb so it's supposed to work...

  Yes, and this is exactly why I am wondering. I have done a memory test
with the Dell utilities, but this does not report any errors.

                Dipl. Chem. Stephan Wonczak
		Institut fuer Angewandte Informatik (ZAIK)
                Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet zu Koeln (RRZK)
                Universitaet zu Koeln
                Robert-Koch-Strasse 10
                50931 Koeln
                Tel: ++49/(0)221/478-5577