PE 2550, RH 7.1 & Serial Console

Glen Turner glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 18:26:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com wrote:

> Well, LILO is deprecated and will not be used in future versions of Red
> Hat Linux.

I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to move from LILO to GRUB if you use a
serial console.

GRUB's serial console user interface is very poor.  It's very easy to
misconfigure GRUB and lose all console access (both serial and attached
monitor and keyboard).  Although the HOWTO presents a working
configuration, it's about the only configuration that does work.  The GRUB
documentation gives no example, and thus the expected sequence of commands
in the HOWTO was reverse-engineered from the source.

It's far too difficult with GRUB to transfer control between the keyboard
and the serial interface.  SYSLINUX supports both interfaces
simultaneouly, which is very nice and a much better user interface.