Reboot needed for glibc upgrade?

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Mon Mar 11 06:06:00 CST 2002

Hi all,

I'm just contemplating updating one or two servers running RH7.0 so that
they have glibc 2.2, in order that I can upgrade a few other bits and bobs.
I'll be doing it via RPM.

I have one question. Should I reboot the server after performing the
upgrade? Or will I only need to start/restart anything that depends on glibc
2.2? I'm guessing that'll be nothing right now, as 2.1-dependant stuff is
all that is present. I'm planning on upgrading Apache, mod_ssl, PHP, etc.
later though, all of which require glibc 2.2 - so will I only need to
restart Apache?

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings