PowerEdge 2450/RedHat 7.0 sporadic system Halts!

Francisco Perin fperin at kaplan.com
Sun Mar 10 23:03:01 CST 2002

I'm having terrible sporadic system HALT
problems with two PowerEdge 2450 running
Redhat 7.0.  I've upgraded kernel to 2.2.20
with the latest megaraid drivers from Matt's
site.I'm seeing some chatter about this being
an irq problem on the pci bus? Whatever the
case I needs some help stabilizing the system..

My "Windows" minded boss believes that this
is a Linux/Dell issue and he's about to dump
our investment in POSIX and Dell.

The Server spec's are are generally Dell
Poweredge 2450 with an external scsi array
running a raid 1 container.  Both the
internal and external disks are attached to
the pci scsi card listed below.  I couldn't
get it to work with the internals on the
onboard raid controller.

These two boxes are running Oracle DB with
moderate usage. I've enabled kernel debugging
and there are no indications of any kernel or
memory problems when the system HALTS.  No
console messages either.  Any ideas?   See
more details below..

Server: OEM ID: DELL     Product ID:
POWEREDGE A6 APIC

Linux sosdb2 2.2.20 #8 SMP Wed Mar 6 01:26:28
EST 2002 i686 unknown

PERC 3/DC
Controller Type: 438/466/467/471/493
Controller Supports 40 Logical Drives
Base = f880e000, Irq = 20, Logical Drives =
3, Channels = 2
Version =1.57:3.13, DRAM = 128Mb
Controller Queue Depth = 254, Driver Queue
Depth = 126

scsi0 : AMI MegaRAID 161J 254 commands 16
targs 2 chans 40 luns
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
   Vendor: DELL     Model: 1x4 U2W SCSI BP
Rev: 1.16
   Type:   Processor
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 15 Lun: 00
   Vendor: Dell     Model: 12 BAY U2W CU
Rev: 0209
   Type:   Processor
ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID1  8568R
Rev: 161J
   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 01
   Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD1 RAID1 17278R
Rev: 161J
   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 02
   Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD2 RAID1 51834R
Rev: 161J
   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02

--