PE 2550, RH 7.1 & Serial Console

Marc Mondragon Marcmo at RitchieCapital.com
Thu Mar 7 12:15:00 CST 2002

When I was reading the HOWTO documentation I noticed that the doc was
somewhat ambiguous on this so I tried it with the 81 at the end of the
serial line.  Unfortunately running the lilo command would fail if I used
the "1".   It didn't seem to matter in the append line as far as I could
tell.  In fact if I used a lilo.conf with only the serial= line and no
console info in the append line, it still would stop at the "LI" on reboot.

Marc Mondragon

-----Original Message-----
From: Sites, Brad [mailto:BSites at mem-ins.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 11:19 AM
To: Marc Mondragon
Subject: RE: PE 2550, RH 7.1 & Serial Console

Marc,

I haven't worked with setting up a console on a serial connection, but a
quick scan of the HOWTO shows that the serial= line and the console= section
of the append= line need to be the same.  According to what you have below
you have serial=1,9600n8, but your console=ttyS1,9600n81.  I'm wondering if
it's getting confused by the 1 at the end of your console line.

Just a thought.

Brad Sites
Systems Administrator
Missouri Employers Mutual Insurance