PE 2550, RH 7.1 & Serial Console

Marc Mondragon Marcmo at RitchieCapital.com
Thu Mar 7 11:09:00 CST 2002

Hello-

I am in the process of connecting our 2550 servers to a Cyclades terminal
server and I ran into a problem configuring this via lilo.

If my lilo.conf looks like the setup below, it hangs after printing LI:

root=/dev/sda3
default=linux
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
timeout=50
prompt
linear
serial=1,9600n8

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9-21smp
	label=linux
	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.9-21smp.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/sda8
	append="console=tty0 console=ttyS1,9600n81 reboot=bios,smp"

If I comment of the serial= line it works fine.  This doesn't follow the
examples in the excellent Remote Serial Console HOWTO by Glen Turner and I'm
somewhat confused as to what is the "proper" way to configure this.  I have
a similar setup on a PE 2400 and the serial line doesn't affect it like the
2550, is this something 2550 specific?

For now, I have it commented out and I'm working fine but I'd like to know
why I shouldn't use it since it seems to contradict the guides...

Thanks,

Marc Mondragon

Ritchie Capital Investments, Ltd.
210 E. State Street