Top command crashing with floating point exception!

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Tue Mar 5 12:06:00 CST 2002

Hi,

> where does 'strace -o file top' stop ?

I just tried this. Bizarrely, top works fine when run through strace. I can
make the trace file available if anyone wants. Oh, and the original core
dump file too.

> another possibility is that top maybe reads something out of
> the procfs which it doesn't understand. this could be the case e.g.
> if you use a pretty recent kernel, but an ancient top version.

I doubt it. Both kernel and top are from the same stock RH7.0 distribution.

> btw: a "very good" intruder modifies everything on your system, so that
> he is hiding his traces. this includes rpm checksums for libraries
> and binaries as well

Yes, I am well aware of this... Hence why I verified my top binary against
an external, known, copy using md5 from my desktop, not from the server. :-)

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com