Top command crashing with floating point exception!

Dirk Wetter dirkw at rentec.com
Tue Mar 5 11:45:01 CST 2002

hi,

did you check the library checksums? where does 'strace -o file top'
stop ?  another possibility is that top maybe reads something out of
the procfs which it doesn't understand. this could be the case e.g.
if you use a pretty recent kernel, but an ancient top version.

cheers,

        ~dirkw
Dirk Wetter @ Renaissance Techn.
mailto:<dirkw at rentec dot com>

btw: a "very good" intruder modifies everything on your system, so that
he is hiding his traces. this includes rpm checksums for libraries
and binaries as well as e.g. hiding sniffers in the process list or
on the filesystem. but in most cases intruders leave traces there or
somewhere else ...  fortunately :)