PE 4400 and one failed disk

Ard van Breemen ard at telegraafnet.nl
Tue Mar 5 11:39:00 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 05:44:09PM -0600, Andrew_Hicks at dell.com wrote:
> Amongst other suggestions folks might make, you might wanna try checking the
> SCSI cable going from the RAID controller to the backplane.  I've run into a
> case or two where the cable has been kinked or broken somewhere along the
> length, and it's what causes the SCSI speed to drop like that (and could
> account for why you had a hard drive fail on you).
>
> Andrew Hicks, CCNA
> Dell Server Support
In our case with a 2550, we needed to reseat the SAF_TE. This seemed to
be a known problem at the support desk.
The 2550 cam with the SAF_TE badly seated. Pushing it hard made some
metal spring snap, and gone were all our troubles.
BTW: we had this troubles without using the raidcontroller. It is
definetly a cable/SAF_TE problem.
--
<ard at telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media  http://wwwijzer.nl
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html