2450 BIOS A06

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Thu Aug 29 17:06:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Hoy, Mark wrote:

> Seems to take forever to boot. Is there any way of speeding this
> up? We're trying out new kernel and new drivers, etc. and the
> reboot time is driving me nuts.

no :-(

i would recommend an upgrade to A07, but that won't speed up things
really.

if you have to test stuff involving lots of rebooting, don't test it
on a 2X50 box.  it's even slower to boot if you are using the
onboard raid because then it has to spin up the perc, spin up the
scsi and then spin up any other scsi cards.  we have 4 scsi buses in
ours and it takes around 5 minutes to actually boot to the OS loader
stage.

i've asked a few dell engineers if there is some magic key combination
to skip all the intro stuff but they aren't saying..

regards,

-jason