raid controller on PE 4200, PE 2300

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Thu Aug 29 08:12:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, [iso-8859-1] Torsten Fürstenberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using PowerEdge Servers PE 4200 and PE 2300. I want to install a raid controller to improve data security.
>
> The operating system is SuSE-Linux 6.0, kernel 2.0.36.
>
> How can I install drivers ?

hi torsten,

assuming you don't want to change anything, your best bet is to find the
list of drivers already included with your distribution/kernel and then
buy a raid card that you already have drivers for.

if you are familiar with building a kernel you should be able to see the
list of supported scsi cards, some of which would be raid ones.

an alternative is to consider upgrading to a more recent kernel which
would probably support a wider variety as well as newer model cards.

perhaps dell might know more - i unfortunately don't know much about SuSE.

regards,

-jason