Tape device unrecognized on PE1650 external SCSI

Tesfamariam_Michael@Dell.com Tesfamariam_Michael at Dell.com
Wed Aug 28 11:38:00 CDT 2002

You need to attach it to Adaptec 39160 or 2940 SCSI controller and load
aic7xxx driver.

Thanks,
Tesfamariam Michael
Dell Linux Development
http://www.dell.com/linux

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Delgado [mailto:delgado at molbio.mgh.harvard.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 11:18 AM
To: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: Tape device unrecognized on PE1650 external SCSI

Hi,
    I have a fresh out of the box PowerEdge 1650 with the PERC 3/Di
controller, which came with a factory-installed RH 7.3 build on it. I
have attached to the external SCSI interface an HP Ultrium 215 tape
array module. The mechanism shows up if I go into the Disk Utilities
built in to the SCSI controller at boot time (via Control-A), however
there is no sign of the device getting loaded in the boot messages and
as a result I have no /dev/st0.

    Snippit from dmesg for SCSI stuff is just as follows:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
Red Hat/Adaptec aacraid driver, May  2 2002
scsi0 : percraid
   Vendor: DELL      Model: PERCRAID Mirror   Rev: 0001
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
Partition check:
  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 >

    FWIW, I applied the v2.7.1 firmware update with no change in results.
Unfortunately I have no other external SCSI devices that I can try in
it's place to confirm that RH is even looking at the external channel on
the controller.

    I am near my wit's end on this. SCSI tape support is set with module
support. I have tried manually loading the module to no avail, likewise
I have tried manually adding the device by echoing 'scsi
add-single-device...' to /proc/scsi/scsi with no luck.

    Has anyone seen behavior like this before? Am I missing some other
important updates? Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thank you.

-Jonathan
--
Jonathan Delgado, Systems Manager
Massachusetts General Hospital