CERC RAID screwed up

JP Vossen vossenjp at netaxs.com
Wed Aug 28 10:41:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

I was messing around with the megarc command, trying to learn a little more
about it.  I ran it and it seems to have wiped out my RAID volume, more or
less.  After I ran the command, the system stopped responding (like the entire
disk was yanked out from under it, which I guess it was).  When I tried to
reboot, all I get a is the word "GRUB" where the Grub bootloader should load
and display the menu.

I *think* the command I ran was 'megarc -pdFailInfo' but I'm not 100% sure,
and obviously I can't check my command history. :-(

This was a test system, so I'm not THAT worried about recovery.  But I'd like
to understand what happened so I don't do it again, and I'd like to TRY to
recover since it doesn't matter if I screw up.  Thoughts on the best way to
nuke it and start over would be good too.  Should I bother deleting and
re-creating the logical RAID volume, for example?

Part of what I was looking for was a way to get decent information about the
stat of a CERC array.  I know about MegaMon (from Matt) but that leaves a lot
to be desired in terms of usability and usefulness (for me at least).  The
command line switches are incoherent, I've been unable to find any useful
documentation about what the e-mailed reports mean, or what it should look
like if somethign bad has happened.  It also seems to want to run some kind of
consistency check that was taking 5-7 hours.  I want to know if a drive has
failed in 1 day at the most, not 1 week as seems to be the Megamon default.
But I don't want to waste time running a consistency check every day.

I just want something really simple that will tell me if a drive has failed.
I'll run it as a cron job every day and e-mail myself the output.  Nothing
fancy...

Well, TIA,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."