PowerVault 220S - custom kernels wont boot

Wed Aug 28 10:23:01 CDT 2002

> They are connected via Perc3-DC.
> > However, when trying to boot another kernel
> > (2.4.2, 2.4.9, 2.4.16, 2.4.18, 2.4.19) the system will not load at all.
> > Everything is compiled into the kernels (Megaraid, Aic7xxx support etc).

2.4.{18,19,20pre} has megaraid 1.18.  That should work fine for the PERC
3/DC, though we do generally recommend building drivers as modules so as to
better control the disk discovery order (otherwise disks on multiple
controllers can really confuse the system and can cause things to "not load
at all".  Is the driver getting started (as seen in the kernel messages)?
If your boot disks are on the megaraid, and you have disks on the aic7xxx
also, and both drivers are built into the kernel, the aic7xxx driver will
start first (because of its placement in drivers/scsi/Makefile before
megaraid), so /dev/sda will be a disk on the aic7xxx.  Building as modules
lets you specify driver load order in /etc/modules.conf to avoid exactly
this problem.

Thanks,
Matt

--