PowerVault 220S - custom kernels wont boot

James Bourne jbourne at mtroyal.ab.ca
Wed Aug 28 00:45:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Rich Wilson wrote:

> Hi,
> We have multiple PE1550's and PowerVault 220 arrays in our environment, they
> work together without a problem.  We recently purchased a pair of 220S
> arrays and have them attached to identical PE1550's.  They work fine with
> the standard redhat 7.1 kernel.  However, when trying to boot another kernel
> (2.4.2, 2.4.9, 2.4.16, 2.4.18, 2.4.19) the system will not load at all.  The
> kernels tested work fine on the other servers that just have the 220 array.
> Everything is compiled into the kernels (Megaraid, Aic7xxx support etc).
> Has anyone experienced this?  Is there a patch/bios upgrade/etc that is
> required to use a custom kernel on 220S arrays?

Try the adaptec raid (aacraid) unless you have the 220 connected via
an LSI card (PercIII DC/QC)...

Regards
James Bourne

> Thanks in advance,
> -Rich

James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA
www.mtroyal.ab.ca

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."