PowerVault 220S - custom kernels wont boot

Rich Wilson rwilson at excitenetwork.com
Tue Aug 27 16:07:00 CDT 2002

Hi,
We have multiple PE1550's and PowerVault 220 arrays in our environment, they
work together without a problem.  We recently purchased a pair of 220S
arrays and have them attached to identical PE1550's.  They work fine with
the standard redhat 7.1 kernel.  However, when trying to boot another kernel
(2.4.2, 2.4.9, 2.4.16, 2.4.18, 2.4.19) the system will not load at all.  The
kernels tested work fine on the other servers that just have the 220 array.
Everything is compiled into the kernels (Megaraid, Aic7xxx support etc).
Has anyone experienced this?  Is there a patch/bios upgrade/etc that is
required to use a custom kernel on 220S arrays?

Thanks in advance,
-Rich