PE6650 Disk I/O performance under Linux

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Mon Aug 26 18:39:01 CDT 2002

Sorry, no answers, just a "me too".

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:19:59PM -0400, Darrin Hyrup wrote:
> My questions are whether or not there is anything we can do to reduce disk
> I/O bottleneck using Dell components?  Is there a better RAID card that we
> can get bundled with these machines through Dell (or even 3rd party if
> necessary) that would improve this issue, or are we better off using the
> additional processor power to run a software RAID 5 setup?  As a matter of
> comparison, how much of an improvement would we expect to see if we made
> similar changes to our existing hardware instead (and/or upgrading PE2650s
> rather than 6650s?)  That would certainly reduce costs (since those 6650s
> are not cheap.)  My gut instinct is to avoid using software RAID on
> database servers since they need all the CPU they can get, but if it is the
> better solution, so be it.

Good questions. We are looking at getting a PE6600 and I've been a bit
worried about the reports of slow RAID hardware. There also seems to be
some people recommending software RAID.

My load is mainly students with 80+ X sessions mostly doing program
development and some OpenOffice. Also samba to around 20 workstations,
low level (~10/hits a minute) web serving, low level postgresql. So
my main requirements are lots of memory and CPU power and lots, but not
necessarily quick, disk storage.

--
Norman Gaywood -- School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia