Linux-PowerEdge digest, Vol 1 #567 - 9 msgs

Aaron Smith asmith at nexcerpt.com
Mon Aug 26 08:49:00 CDT 2002

	So here's a question, I've seen a number of messages flying about
regarding RAID performance with the PERC3's and Firmware revisions.  I
have a pair of 4400's that are identical in every way (hardware wise).
Same disk sizes, same RAID5 config, etc.  One is a
production server and the other is for development.  The main function
of both servers are to run PostgreSQL.  The software guys grumble now
and then about a strange performance disparity between the two machines.
One will take nearly three times as long on a task as the other.  Now,
the software on the two machines are NOT identical so this could very
EASILY be a software issue.  However, the "slower" machine has firmware
version 2.6 while the "faster" machine has something one step down from
that.  I can't quite remember, I want to say 2.54 but I haven't rebooted
it in so long.  Anyway, we discounted the difference in RAID firmware
because we figured it wouldn't make sense for the NEWER firmware to be
SLOWER than the older firmware.  Is this perhaps not the case?

Aaron Smith             		vox: 269.226.9550 ext.26
Network Director        		fax: 269.349.9076
Nexcerpt, Inc.          		http://www.nexcerpt.com

	...Nexcerpt... Extend Your Expertise