system monitoring on linux

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Sun Aug 25 18:59:01 CDT 2002

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 gajean at airfrance.fr wrote:

> I have a poweredge 6400 running RedHat 7.2 with a custom kernel 2.4.19.
> When I try to "modprobe" modules for smbus system monitoring, I have the
> following errors concerning the module i2c-piix4 :
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-piix4.o: init_module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-piix4.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-piix4.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-piix4.o: insmod i2c-piix4 failed
>
> It seems that by default SMBus controller is not enbled by default on dell systems, does somebody kwon how to enable it ?
> In the BIOS, there is no options concerning that.

i could be wrong, but from what i understand you can only access the SMBus
on dells by using their onboard system controller and there is no way to
directly access it.   i've tried various things to see if i can get to
it directly without success.  please let me know if you do find something..

under linux, you can access this via OMSA 1.1 (openmanage system administrator).

regards,

-jason