PE2200 and RHL 7.2

Anne Gates Applin applina at acm.org
Sat Aug 24 07:22:00 CDT 2002

Problem:  After installation and update of all packages and drivers,
   the machine reboots when the GUI is started.
Solution:  Run Xconfigurator and choose a resolution from the 8-bit
ones.

I had chosen 24-bit color knowing that under M$Windoze I had gotten
great color and resolution out of that graphics card in spite of it
small
memory (1 Mb) .  Even the 16-bit choices kept the problem alive.
Choosing an 8-bit resolution stopped the spontaneous reboot.  We
wasted a week (between classes) on this problem.  There was nothing
in the Dell knowledge base about it.  Very Frustrating.  If there is an
updated driver for the card, I haven't found it either.

Anne Applin
Computer Science Instructor
Pearl River Community College
Poplarville, Mississippi