super user clone & x-server disabling

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Aug 23 16:13:00 CDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Tarun Bhatia wrote:

>thanks for prompt response. I understand the threat here but for
>some experiment I need it. 'sudo' allows you to execute some
>commands  as 'root' or some other user. What I am looking for
>creation of a user, who is almost as good as root but login name
>is not 'root'.

To do all the things root can do, you'd need to have a UID (user id
number) of 0. The UID is the third field of a line in /etc/passwd. You
could create another username, e.g. "toor", with UID 0. This username
can have a different password to root, but you'll probably find that all
sorts of things break which expect a 1-1 mapping of username to UID.

You'll need the "-o" flag to useradd(8), otherwise it will complain
about duplicate UIDs.

Hope this helps,

Phil