DRAC III, remote management, anyone ? [ Re: Linux browser/jre combination to remotely power on PE1650 via ERA ?]

Harold van Oostrom pedge at lanceerplaats.nl
Fri Aug 23 04:09:00 CDT 2002

Had a colleague come over and bring me a laptop running Win98, IE 5.5
The result was no surprise, under IE the applets work and the machine(s)
can be booted etc. Although this fact is *of no use to us whatsoever*
I hope this helps Dell in determining a soluton asap.

I have compared the interaction between the respective browsers
and the ERA card. The .cab files for IE are loading fine but as
you can see from the comparison below, netscape and mozilla
for some reason do not load the corresponding jar files.
The .jar files are there alright: one can easily retrieve them
with any client.

I'ld like Dell to continue from here as it has already been clearly
established that the supplied products do not work as advertised.
This has been sold to us as a system working with Linux and I have
done (more than) my best to make it work.
Also it has been two weeks now since we reported this through the regular
support channels and other than people bouncing standard documentation to us
we have not received any answer from support.
Not exactly the start with Dell we'ld hoped for.

On Jul 20th I was told by the `technical sales assistant' that the DRAC III
card was no longer available. From comments here I gather I should have
insisted more.  I would have prefered the serial solution over the current
mess with java applets.
Surely there must be lots of people with poweredges tucked far away in
datacenters behind firewalls, that do not rely on a crappy
solution involving tunneling, micros~1, java AND IE (all together, yuck) ?

Any advice appreciated, as it stands I'm considering returning
everything to Dell. But first I'm off for a holiday !!

Thanks,
Harold.

These are the files subsequently being requested by the respective clients
when connecting to the ERA card via http://192.168.0.120 (e.g.)
I've left out all 404's, they can be seen under all three clients,
Mozilla, Netscape and IE
IE 5.5
/
/websrvr.html
/temp.html?pType=0
/websrvr.cab
/content.cab
/gui.cab
/vncviewer.cab
/jpeg.cab
/cgi/challenge
/cgi/login?user=root&hash=uC3JJTtAqyp0IFH7YE34Oycz
/cgi/bin

[ ok ]
Mozilla 1.0 + Java1.3.1_04 (other JVM's behave the same)
/
/websrvr.html
/temp.html?pType=0
/null                   Java1.3.1_04
/websrvr.jar            Java1.3.1_04

[ stops here, continues like below after reload ]

/
/websrvr.html
/temp.html?pType=0
/content.jar
/null                  Java1.3.1_04
/gui.jar               Java1.3.1_04

[ Logging in ... message shows, but no activity ]
Netscape 4.79 + built in JVM
/
/websrvr.html
/temp.html?pType=0
/content.jar
/websrvr.jar

[ Connection reset by peer message shows  ]

Java: `build once, run everywhere' ah sweet dream !
Welcome to reality: `build twice, run only on IE'
Oh what irony.