shut down from linux command line

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Thu Aug 22 22:20:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Tarun Bhatia wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried using linux 'shutdown' command but the PE1650 power did not
> go down. I has to to explicitly power it down by pressing the power
> button. Is there a way to achieve the power down thru software?
>
> Command it used is :
>
> shutdown -h -t 1 "now"

the shutdown command won't power a system off under linux - unless there
is some way to get this to interact with power management software.  perhaps
someone else more familiar with that approach can comment.

on the other hand, there is a way.  you need to install the OMSA 1.1 (or
later) software.  this will allow you to do

omconfig system shutdown poweroff

i *believe*  this should shut down a dell server and power it off.

there is also a gui interface to do this with, if you have OMSA installed
along with the web daemon.

regards,

-jason