Teaming the BroadCom Gig NIC in Redhat 7.3

Jeff Parker parkerjeff at spcollege.edu
Thu Aug 22 16:40:00 CDT 2002

Everyone,

Want to get Teaming or load-balanced GigE Broadcom NIC's going in RH7.3?
It took a bit of doing but here is my method (with no express/implied
warranty, support, or responsibility).

Under the 2.4.18-x kernel you can run the Broadcom driver for RH7.1 from
Dell with no issue, but the teaming is controlled by BASP (which the RPM
provided by Dell is useless). So I found that 3Com provides the tarball
and SRPM for BASP for their BroadCom based 3C996
(http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linuxdownloads.htm ) {it
would be great if Dell would provide the source!!!}.

Steps after getting the stuff from Dell and 3Com for load balancing
NIC's

1.	install the rpm from Dell
2.	install the srpm from 3Com, and then install the rpm that you
make
3.	edit modules.conf to set all BC-Ethernet interfaces to use
bcm5700 (instead of tg3)
4.	create your team-whatever file in /etc/basp/
5.	make your virtual interface sw0 in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sw0 (I copied my ifcfg-eth0 changed
the device to sw0 and filled the VIP (virtual IP) into the ipaadr.
6.	Get your IP addressing straight! Each physical nic needs an
individual IP address and the sw0 interface is the load balanced VIP.
7.	unload the tg3 module, or reboot.
8.	Ping your VIP and test.

As always, this is just ~A~ way of getting this to work. There is no
support for this method, and no guarantee that it will work. Matter of
fact, let me state that

My setup required an active/standby interface configuration (don't ask
it is the only option). The config for my Dell PE-2650 I used is at the
tail of the message (I have included everything touched to clear up any
questions).

Good luck, and remember I take no responsibility for what you do. This
is not advice, it is just a recount of how I got something working.

Jeff

Jeffrey J. Parker

Systems Analyst

Seminole, Seminole Campus

9200 113th Street, North

Seminole, Florida 33772

Phone: 727.394.6036

Fax:   727.394.6264

Cell:  727.224.5722

Excerpt from /etc/modules.conf

alias eth0 bcm5700

alias eth1 bcm5700

Entire /etc/basp/team-HotSpare

TEAM_ID=10

TEAM_TYPE=0

TEAM_NAME=HotSpare

# 1st physical interface in the team

#PRIMARY NIC!!!! -ROLE 0 ACTIVE

TEAM_PA0_NAME=eth0

TEAM_PA0_ROLE=0

# 2nd physical interface in the team

#SECONDARY NIC!!!! -ROLE 1 STANDBY

#CHANGE ROLE TO 0 for LOAD BALLANCED

TEAM_PA1_NAME=eth1

TEAM_PA1_ROLE=1

# 1st virtual interface in the team

TEAM_VA0_NAME=sw0

TEAM_VA0_VLAN=0

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sw0

DEVICE='sw0'

BOOTPROTO='none'

BROADCAST='172.27.16.255'

IPADDR='172.27.16.100'