how to kickstart a poweredge 1650 with RedHat 7.3

Ard van Breemen ard at telegraafnet.nl
Thu Aug 22 13:28:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 01:08:16PM +0200, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
> When i boot the system with a stock image the installer tell me that it
> receive no answer from DHCP server.
> I guess it s a problem with the e1000 driver.
>
> When i install with the kickstart file on the floppy the network run fine
> and i got an answer from the DHCP server.
>
> Then Has anyone already succeed in kickstart dell poweredge 1650
Hi,
We are currently also having a problem with it.
Of course we use debian and not redhat.
We found out, that after loading the e1000 driver, the timer
interrupts stopped working! Currently we are able to circumvent
this by putting the interrups of all ethernet cards and the scsi
controller at level 11. After the boot linux will of course
reroute the interrupts to some sane level, and the e1000 did not
interfere anymore with the timer interrupts.
(smp Kernel 2.4.18 with e1000 4.3.2 or something like that).

Besides that:
The download of the boot image (pxe boot) is sometimes really
fast, and sometimes really terrible slow. I am not really pleased with
this first encounter with the e1000...

--
begin  ILOVEYOU.VBS 666
<ard at telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media