2650/Adaptec - hardware config question.

Brian K. Jones jonesy at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Aug 22 08:58:00 CDT 2002

Hi all.

I have 3 2650's and I'm adding an Intel NIC to use instead of the
Broadcomm's it came with.  However, I'm noticing there is a card labeled
as an Adaptec 39160 SCSI adapter in one of the pci slots.  However,
there's nothing plugged into it, either internally or externally.  Also,
on the mobo, just behind the discs, is a chip labeled adaptec 7899.

Can someone tell me what's happening here?  I'd like to REMOVE the
adaptec 39160 from the pci slot if I can, because I don't wanna deal
with Redhat 7.3 or the Linux kernel and drivers for it if I'm not even
using it.  I also don't wanna deal with possible irq sharing issues when
I add an Intel PCI NIC.

Appreciate the advice.

--

Brian K. Jones