packet loss in heavy network load under 2.4 kernel

Hoy, Mark mhoy at securify.com
Wed Aug 21 12:33:01 CDT 2002

Do you need more memory in the system? Faster CPU?

You may need to bump the system buffers from their small default values:
sysctl -w net.core.rmem_default=20000
sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=20000
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_default=20000
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=20000

With the built in gigabit NICs of the 1650 I can push a significant packet
flow into a system (>> 100 Mbps) before it gets slow. As a router I'd expect
you to have no problem what so ever. We're running on kernel 2.4.19 and we
do
significant packet analysis on every packet. (We are not a router).
-=-
Mark