Doing a mount to a NFS share

Bryan Evans bevans at thermpro.com
Wed Aug 21 11:52:01 CDT 2002

  >>  Can someone help me out with a small NFS problem on a pe1650?  Basically
 >>  rpcinfo shows mountd and portmap are running. "service nfs restart"
 >>  works and everything comes up ok. /etc/exports has the directory
 >>  exported as "/home x.x.x.x(rw)" (the x being the IP address).  But when
 >>  I type "mount servername:/home /home" on a client I get: "mount: RPC:
 >>  RPC: port mapper failure RPC: unable to receive"  Seems simple enough
 >>  but I'm totally miffed.

 >>  Ken

It does not look like the exact same behaviour as I have seen, but just in case.
When I tried to use NFS, rebooting the server after all of the software was
installed and configured was actually required (instead of the normal service
restart).  Here are the messages I got on the server and client respectively:

Dec 20 13:47:12 host rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request
from 192.168.1.20:884 for /opt (/opt)

Dec 20 13:17:59 client kernel: nfs: server www not responding, still trying
Dec 20 13:22:43 client kernel: nfs_get_root: getattr error = 5

As I said, this actually required a reboot of the server.  This same behaviour
has been experienced by another admin running RedHat, and he also had to
reboot which fixed the situation.

Hopefully this will help.

Sincerely,
Bryan D. Evans