aic7xxx hangs in 2.4.18-5

Soukup, Kevin (IL50) kevin.soukup at honeywell.com
Wed Aug 21 08:01:01 CDT 2002

Greetings All,

Running Redhat 7.3 on a couple of dual CPU Dell 4600's.

I am aware that the 2.4.18-3 and 2.4.18-4 SMP kernels were susceptible to
panic and failure to boot. I'm also aware that the aic7xxx-6.2.8-0.i386.rpm
will fix the problem in those two kernels.

I thought the bug was fixed in 2.4.18-5 though, and I was surprised to see
my server lock up on boot just like it did with the previous kernels.

Anyone know if it's supposed to be fixed or not? Is it actually fixed in
2.4.18-5 and I'm doing something so stupid I'm breaking it?

Can I simply apply the same aic7xxx-6.2.8-0.i386.rpm to the 2.4.18-5 kernel
without any problems?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Kevin Soukup
CAD/CAM Engineer - Oracle DBA - MatrixOne SysAdmin

Honeywell Automation & Control Solutions Automation and Control Products
Division
11 W. Spring Street
Freeport, IL 61032

Phone:	(815) 235-6944