linux 7.3 on poweredge 4600

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Tue Aug 20 21:49:00 CDT 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Alexander Lazarevich wrote:

> the tape backup system is over the network, and yes, it is slow. but
> otherwise its a great system. totaly works, SOOO easy to maintain. almost
> 0 admining. id hate to move to something else that would chunk up more of
> my time. but eventually we'll have to, cause sooner or later 1.5TB is
> going to be pocket change...

you might want to consider speccing a separate network interface, which might
let you run the backups over without affecting other stuff..

> but going with RAID 5 will solve a lot of our current problems. right now,
> our fileserver has NO RAID, and i must restore from tape backup when a
> drive fails. this is terribly slow, and ill enjoy the speed of RAID 5
> restores over tape restores.

yes, it's better to not have to restore at all (i assume you mean) than
to go to tape..

> one more question: what kind of drives does dell put in it's servers? im
> assuming they are 80-pin 1" SCSI's? or do they use 68-pin?

80pin 1" scsi in the 220S.  80pin 1" or 1.6" (i am not sure if the 4600 takes
1.6" - the 4400 would) but it also depends on the backplane, in the 4600.
80pin 1" in the 2650.  it's all U160 too afaik.

regards,

-jason